Something that I have learned this week: I am an
Arizona girl. This humid cold is NO BUENO. It chills to the bone. So I
learned my lesson, I'm ready to be transferred to a driving area :) haha,
nahhhh, I love West New York.
I do not have very much time, my Pday has been cut a
little bit short again :( I don't think we have had a regular pday this
whole transfer, which is kind of tiring, but oh well. It's Christmas time
and life still goes on, so I can't complain. It was a great week, I've
got to quickly share some of the highlights.
My favorite event of the week - I have to give you the
setting: We are in a bedroom with a round table. We sit on opposite sides
all bundled in up in our blankets with a little space heater evenly
between us and the door closed to keep in the warmth. We always start
with a Christmas song, then we read 3 pages out of the missionary
handbook. Then we share what we learned in personal study and we pick
things to share with the appointments we have for the day. So, we sing a
song, then we start to read out of the handbook. I'm reading and sister
Orton is just listening, were both very tired and not very awake yet,
then all of a sudden in the middle of my reading we hear this "SNAP -
eep eep eep eep".... I look up from the handbook, then sister Orton
looks at me and we are just like "oh no, that was not what I just think
it was!" We knew exactly what it was... The sound of a mouse trap and a
dying mouse's last breaths. We keep looking at each other terrified and so
grossed out. Then we look at the door.... We have to decide who is
going to take care of it... It is my turn because she disposed of the
last mouse. We go out and it was the mousetrap under the stove... sure
enough, there is a little mouse in there... SQUIRMING AROUND. Nope not
dead yet. ew ew ew. So we pick it up, and toss it in a garbage bag, then
run outside to toss it in the garbage can... then returned to our
studies. Life is NEVER boring around here.
One of our investigators is getting VERY ready for
baptism, FINALLY! He attended a baptism of one of the ninas de la
iglesia last Saturday and he felt the spirit really strong. He has a
baptism date for 5 de enero. In order to be baptized you have to come to
church 3 times. He has come 2, but he needs to get work off on Sunday
and it has been very hard for him to talk to his boss to ask him for
this day off, but he has been asking us to pray for him. It is very
close, I can feel it. I'm so happy.
Saturday
it SNOWED LIKE CRAZY!!! President ordered a no driving day, but of
course that didnt effect us, so we got dressed in our big coats and
boots and gloves and hats and we headed out in the blizzard. We were
definitely guided that day. The Lord blesses you when you make
sacrifices to do his work, we were blessed with 4 lessons that day, then
a BIRTHDAY PARTY! It was sister suarez birthday that day and she said
she wanted to spend it with the missionaries so she brought her family
and her cake to the church and a couple of her friends from the ward
came and all of the missionaries and we had cake..... and not just
cake... Are you ready for this Julie? cake from CARLOS BAKERY!! It was
very yummy :)
On Sunday
we got a call early in the morning from the bishop letting us know that
church was cancelled because of the storm... SO we started our normal
studies then the elders called and said that they would be holding the
sacrament at the chapel for those who did not get the message... So we
got ready really fast and headed down there... There were about 10
members and us 6 missionaries, so it was very small.... and then we
realized that no one brought bread for the sacrament, so an hermano ran
home and brought back these huge bagels... Then we begin and the elders
only ripped the bagels into fourths or something, because it took about 3
bites to get my little piece down... hahahah such a funny day. I loved
it. It was nice.
Later that night was the Spanish fireside for the
members put on by the mission. It was really neat. All of the Spanish
missionaries in the mission came and all of the Spanish members were
invited, so it was quite the event. We spent the Pday last week
practicing all the Christmas songs we were going to sing. Some of the
elders and sisters had parts telling the Christmas story, then we would
all sing. All the Elders and Sisters were on the stand. The church was
full and the spirit was strong. Missionaries bring the BEST spirit. I
loved every second of it. It ended at about 8 and everyone stayed
chatting until 8:45. It was neat to see all of the elders and sisters
running to go see members and investigators in their old areas that they
hadn't seen in a long time. In every area there is always those families
that you love so much, it was so cool to see how that never leaves,
even when you leave your area. We had a couple of families in my area
come too, it was fun to see the other missionaries that have taught them
talk to them also. Then since we have to be in at 9 and some
missionaries had a 2 hour drive home, we had some sisters sleep over in
our apartment, which is only about 15 minutes away from the Union City
chapel. We had Sisters Jorgenson and Daniels, it was fun to get to know
some other sisters.
Well, that's all I have time for this week. I love you and thank you for everything. Have a great week!!
-Sister Clark
Sister Orton? There are Ortons in the Hanford Stake. Humid cold? Sounds like time for soup. Also sounds like you had a full week. Good.
ReplyDeleteSister Clark, we especially think about you on Sunday when we do not see you in Church. We send our love and warmest wishes for a very Merry Christmas and a most wonderful 2014! <3
ReplyDeleteHermana Clark. Me hace feliz leer noticias de tu mision. Que sigas trabajando fuerte, aun cuando hace tanto frio afuera! Presidente Perkins.
ReplyDelete