Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Three More Weeks!

As always, the work is moving forward here in Union City New Jersey. I am so blessed to be apart of it. I had a lot of fun with the people we teach and especially with my companion Hermana Galvan. It is such a huge blessing that she was sent here to be my companion right now. We have a lot of fun together, which is really good. I am happy to be ending my mission on a good note! We are working hard and seeing miracles!

We are teaching this cute little girl in the ward, her name is Isabel. She is 7 but she is turning 8 next week so we are giving her all of the lessons before she gets baptized. she lives in the bottom of our area in a place calledNnorth Bergen. North Bergen is the nicer part of our area and we have to walk kind of far to get there. It was already dark when we left so we were kind of creeped out about walking far in the dark, so Marisol taught us a shortcut through a park... It turned out to be way creepier. We had to walk through this creepy covered alley way and there were these creepy boys down there smoking weed, so that was awkward... but we made it out alive! ha ha always an adventure on the mission. It has been so much fun. We taught Isabel about the plan of salvation and she was so cute. It amazes me how bright all of these little kids are. She is amazingly intelligent because she speaks both English and Spanish fluently. It is so amazing how these little kids do that. I want to give my kids that same opportunity. Anyways, we used the little paper dolls to teach her and she loved it, then we let her borrow the pictures so that she could teach it to her family for family home evening. After we finished teaching her we had dinner with her family. Her mom made us really yummy empenadas. Isabel was so cute and she absolutely loves us. She was showing off for us and was showing us how she has all of the articles of faith memorized. It was so cute. I love it when little kids speak in Spanish. Then she was showing us this dance that she and her friend made up and a little toot snuck out and we were laughing so hard. She ran and hid behind her mom and she was laughing so hard and her mom was laughing. It was seriously so funny. Little kids are the best. I can't wait to be home and be around my cute nieces and nephews! 

On Tuesday we had our zone meeting. It was my last zone meeting so that was kind of emotional but it was very good. I really loved it. Elder Beus and Elder Packer trained us on our monthly focus which is consecration. I am so thankful for this monthly focus because I really want to be focused and consecrated for these last 3 weeks of my mission because I know that we can see some big miracles here in Union City this transfer, we just have to be very focused on the work. They read this really cool poem called "the dash" that talks about how we all have our time here on earth that will eventually be marked on our tomb stones as a dash between our years and how we need to make the best of our dash because only the people who know us will know what the dash represented. They related it to our missions. Soon my mission will be over and it will just be July 2013-Dec1014 and I want to be able to say that during my dash I showed the pure love of Christ and that I was obedient to his will. It was very interesting to think about and it gave me a new perspective on these last 3 weeks of "my dash". 
 
After zone meeting we all went to Wendys for lunch. On the way down there I was sitting in the back seat of the van with Hna Galvan and Hna Stone and we were taking double chin pictures. It was SO FUNNY! The elders were like, what the? Then, we all had coupons for free frostys. I feel bad for the people that worked there who had to give all 20 something of us free frostys. ha ha. It was fun. After zone meeting Hermana Galvan and I hit the streets and we had it in our plans to go down into North Bergen to try some former investigators and try to work that area down there. We got so lost a couple of times, but we had good contacts from asking people for directions. We actually had a really cool miracle. We asked this random lady for directions and she actually turned out to be an inactive member and she gave us her phone number and address so we can go visit her. That was cool. Then we knocked a formers door and she opened and let us in and we taught her and she was willing to let us come back to teach her again.  
 
After that we went to go visit the Hernandez family (the crazy Colombians) I will never get tired of visiting them... They're just so weird. In a good way though :). It was Hna Galvan's first time visiting them and it was so much fun because she is Hispanic as well, so everyone just jokes with us more now and I feel like i am learning so much more Spanish with her. I am learning little sayings and how to joke around with people. Hno Hernandez just kept on making fun of her accent and some of the Argentinean cultures. It was so funny. We were just laughing the whole time. We played a game with them where they had to draw themselves but the paper was on top of their heads so they couldn't see. It was so fun. They also have this cute family living with them. They are members and his name is Alan and he is like 23 or something and is seriously the cutest kid ever. WE were all laughing so hard. Our stomachs hurt from laughing so hard when we got out of the appointment. After visiting them we went to see Marisol at the same creepy park in North Bergen that we had to walk through the night before. We are helping her prepare for her mission... she leaves in 2 weeks! It is so crazy. I am going to miss her like crazy, but she is serving in California so maybe ill be able to make a surprise visit down there. haa.

Wednesday was a crazy day. We had interviews with President Taggart at 1:00 at the Union City church. We did our normal studies then we had to head down to the church since it takes like 30 minutes to walk there and we wanted to give ourselves time to contact. We ended up contacting this really cool lady named Mariam from Israel. She asked us for a Bible in English we gave her a Book of Mormon. She was so happy. She spoke very little English because she has only been here for a little over a year. Her kids and husband are still in Israel and she is providing for them and going to college. She said she has been praying for the word of god since she got to this country. She took our planners and wrote her information in it and made sure that we had a set appointment with her and she wouldn't let us leave with out promising her that we would call her. So cute! 
 
We barely made it to our interviews on time. The interviews went well... sort of. For the last couple of months I have been having very strong promptings that I need to return home from my mission a transfer early, and it has been causing me a lot of stress. I had been talking to President and Sister Taggart about it but I had decided the week earlier that I wanted to finish my full mission, but all throughout the week I felt really uneasy about it. I couldn't stop thinking about it and it just didn't feel right at all. It was making me nervous and I was planning on talking to President about it during the interview but I just got too nervous, so I didn't. Then I had my interview with Sister Taggart and the same thing. Side note: Their daughter was going in to labor during our interviews so between interviews they would be on the phone with her. While president Taggart was in an interview with an elder she pulled us aside and let us listen on speaker phone. It was so cool! It was really cute seeing how excited they were and everything. :) Anyways, after the interview while we were walking home Hna Galvan and I were talking about what P.T. told us and she told me that President Taggart told her that he was expecting me to come and tell him that I needed to go home early and he was very surprised when I didn't. Then he told her to tell me that He and Sister Taggart would support me in my decision and that they felt very strongly like my work here in New Jersey was finished. Then Hna Galvan told me that Sister Taggart told me the very same thing, that she and President Taggart felt like my work here was done, but that it was up to me and they would support me. As soon as I heard that my heart stopped. We crossed the street and sat down at some benches at the park and we talked about it. I knew exactly what I needed to do. I felt the spirit saying to me very directly that I needed to turn around and go tell President Taggart that I needed to go home... SO that is exactly what I did. I turned around and we went back to the church. When I got there it was like the Taggarts where there waiting for me, like they knew all along that I was going to come back. I told President Taggart and he was very loving and he said that he would take care of everything and he told me that I have served a very honorable mission... Then just like that, my release date changed. It is so weird for me to think about. When I left the church after that I felt an overwhelming feeling of peace and I knew that I had done exactly what the Lord wants me to do. I have felt good all week ever since the decision has been made. For the first time in the last couple of months since I have been feeling these promptings I feel stress free. It feels great and I am so excited to come home. It was hard for me to understand why I need to go home early and I still don't know why but I do know that I have done my best here in New Jersey and that I served a full time mission because I did what my Heavenly Father sent me here to do. 

Thursday was a great day. We had our weekly planning, which was really good. Hna Galvan are turning this area around. It was kind of struggling for a while but we have seen some huge miracles the last couple of weeks. It has been exciting to plan for the future and getting a glimpse of what God wants for this area and how he wants us to do His work. Missionary work is very exciting. I am going to miss all of the excitement. During planning we got a ring at the door bell and got a special visit from Marisol and Sister Schwendiman. I don't know if y'all remember sister Schwendiman, but she was almost my trainer but she ended up training Sister Schaefer instead and she served in Union City for 5 transfers and she just recently went home in August. She was here visiting for the weekend so she could go to a wedding in Brunswick and so that she could go to the temple with Marisol. It was so fun talking to her and it was just what I needed because she went home a transfer early from her mission to so she was able to talk to me about it a little bit and she just made me feel so much better because I was feeling like leaving early meant that I didn't endure and things like that, but she told me that she felt the same way but that it is not true at all and that I need to listen to what God is saying and just do it and that everything has gone well for her since she went home. It was really good to hear that from her and it made me feel so much better. 
 
After planning we went to go visit Hna Betancourt a less active member. It was raining outside so she invited us into her house, which is kind of unusual we usually teach her outside. It was really neat because her mom wandered in and listened. Her mom isn't a member and has never showed interest before, but we were teaching the plan of salvation and she asked us to start the lesson over and she was very interested. She loved it! She said she might even come to church next week. IT was pretty cool. Then we went to go visit the Cayetano family. We watched a movie with them and talked to them about preparing to be sealed in the temple when they complete a year. They are the cutest family ever!! I seriously love them so much. 

Friday was an awesome day. We kind of had a slow morning for what ever reason and we actually ended up leaving the house a little bit late... it was kind of weird but it all turned out good. We needed to go to Wells Fargo for Sister Galvan so she could set up her account so her family could send her money from Argentina. So we went to this Wells Fargo on 35 and Park Ave right outside of our area. This really funny guy named Lenny helped us. It took like an hour and a half because we got along so well with this guy. He was so funny and he was Dominican, so of course we started talking about accents. He was teaching us how to have a perfect Dominican accent because hna Galvan and I told him that we were practicing our Dominican accents. It was so much fun and we were laughing so hard. He was a really cool guy and we gave him a card and talked to him a bit about the gospel. We are going back to see him next week because Hna Galvan has to have him scan her passport. WE are so excited. We made a fun new friend.  After that we met Marisol on Bergenline and went to Dunkin Donuts with her. She was snapchatting hna Jorgensen, so that was funny. I miss her like crazy! Then we went to go visit Veronica. Her husband ended up leaving so we were alone with her which was a huge miracle because he distracts from the spirit so much. We taught her a really good lesson and the spirit was super strong. She is preparing to go to the temple this month and she is so excited. She said she feels like everything in her life is leading her to the temple right now. It was so neat to see the change in her within the last month since she has been preparing to go to the temple. I can't even explain it. After Veronica we went to go see Byron. He walked us home. We taught him a quick lesson and discussed a lot of different things with him. I love Byron so much. He is such a good guy. I really wish he could get baptized, but we just have to trust in the lord that he will be baptized in His time. 

Saturday was the weirdest day.... We went and taught Bryan, the Dominican kid. He is growing on me, which is weird because I kind of hated him at first. He is really great though and has sincere interest in the gospel. He just takes a lot of patience sometimes. Then we had mormon.org time then we went to the church to clean. It was Veronica's turn to clean, but she cant because she isn't feeling very well because of her pregnancy so we told her that we would be happy to do it. We cleaned the bathrooms really deep. It took us a good 2 hours. I don't think anyone has cleaned the bathroom in forever. Then we cleaned the baptismal font... It was so disgusting. I don't think it has ever been cleaned, which is sad because its like the most important part of the church! We cleaned it though and it is sparkling and ready for the next baptism.... which is hopefully Bryan :) Then we went and taught this potential named Jimmy... He was a really cool guy but he just talks so much. We taught him a bit and he was really interested and he just kept on going off about his life and about different things. We tried ending the lesson like 6 times because we had to leave to get to another appointment but he just kept on talking. It was the worst. I was so anxious that I totally shredded the Styrofoam cup he gave me with water in it and I couldn't stop moving and tapping my feet. IT was the worst. We were trapped! We didn't make it to our last appointment and we ended up getting out of his house at 8:50. AS soon as he shut the door I took of running down the street shouting "were finally free!!" and hna Galvan was laughing so hard. We were going so crazy because we got so antsy in there because he just wouldn't stop talking! We decided to go get some pan de bono then head home. Then when we got home we were so hyper and we could hardly focus on planning. We finished really quick then went into the living room and started making weird videos... I really wish I could send you all videos, but you are in for a real treat when I get home.... Lets just say that Hna Galvan and I are secretly Dominican. Then she taught me how to dance bachata. Literally, having a Hispanic companion is the greatest thing in the world because she is teaching me cool things like how to dance bachata and this other weird dance that they do in Argentina, she makes really yummy food and she is going to teach me how to make empenadas, milanesas, tacos durados and papa la huancaina. I'm so stoked. She also got me into drinking mate. I <3 Argentina. Literally I'm obsessed. I seriously have the greatest companion ever and I am so thankful and blessed.

This Sunday was literally insane because we had so many investigators at church. All of them came, which was awesome, but it was some of their first days which is hard because we have to be with them and show them around and introduce them to members but we also have to stay together and we cant be two places at once and then we have to try to track everyone down and it is just pure craziness. I can definitely say that Sunday is the most stressful day of the week for a missionary. I am looking forward to a normal low key day of rest. But until then, let the craziness continue. It turned out to be really good. We taught Bryan during the last hour and it was a crazy lesson because these kids wanted to team up with us but they were so obnoxious and wouldn't be quiet and it was so distracting. Hna Galvan and I were trying so hard not to just throw them out of the church. IT was a real test of our patience. It is so hard to have Christlike love sometimes, especially with obnoxious young preteen boys who are in love with you and wont leave your side for two seconds and ruin your lessons. Oh well. It turned out OK. 

So that is basically it for this week. It was so great. I am really trying to enjoy the last couple of weeks I have out here and I am so excited to see what happens here. The future is so bright in Union City. A lot of things are changing for the better and we are seeing miracles every day. It has been so humbling to look back on the last 16 months and see how God was in every single detail, from where I was, to what I was doing, who my companions were and everything. It is such a humbling experience to be doing the work of the Lord, especially here in New Jersey, what I used to think was the armpit of America. I love it so much and I know that God does too. I know that God loves every single one of His children and His work will go forth until they have all been given the opportunity to learn about His son Jesus Christ and His gospel. The gospel is so truly beautiful and I am so humbled to be representing my savior and redeemer, Jesus Christ. I wouldn't give these 16 months for anything in the whole world. They are so very precious to me. 

I love you all so much and hope you have a great week! 

con mucho amor,

Hermana Clark xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment