Monday, October 27, 2014

A Roller Coaster Week!

So this week was by far one of the craziest weeks of my whole mission. I just feel like we were on this huge roller coaster.... oh wait... we literally were on a roller coaster.

WE WENT TO SIX FLAGS!!

If you don't believe me I have picture evidence :) but more about that later. Its a long story.

Let me just outline this week for y'all.

Monday: Statue of liberty trip: I hung out with Sister Duke in Bayonne all day
Tuesday: District meetings, Jorgensen's Hot seat, then Departing interview in Morristown ALL DAY
Wednesday: Departing Temple trip: In Bayonne with Duke ALL DAY
Thursday: Dr. Appointment in Manhattan and transfer planning. ALL DAY, then surprise phone call from President Taggart, "the Lord has called you to train a new missionary"
Friday: Trainer Meeting in at the mission home in Morristown
Saturday: Six Flags ALL DAY!
Sunday: Church, aka the most exhausting 3 hours of the week.

Basically, we were only in our area for like 2 days. We got a grand total of 10 lessons. That sure makes ya feel like basura. Oh well. I feel like we did what we needed to do and we did the best with what we had... and we had a lot of fun doing it.

Monday was super fun just because like I already said earlier, Sister Duke is really cool and she is just a chill missionary. Like she actually gets it, ya know. I don't want to judge, but sometimes other sisters just drive me crazy because they are so dramatic. Augh I feel like I need to take that back. I'm going to laugh so hard when The Lord sends me a really dramatic daughter on Tuesday. Anyways, we just went over to the senior couples house and did crafts. Sister Dunn (the senior) has a Cricut. I am so obsessed. I want one so bad. We cut out a ton of letters and shapes so we could make planner covers and other things. I am so desperate for new decorations in my apartment. Our apartment is a disaster. It doesn't matter how much or how deeply you clean it, its so so sucio. Sister Jorgensen has never touched the couches and she has lived there for 6 months, that is how disgusting they are. I'll have to take pictures for you. The bedrooms and the kitchen aren't that bad though.
 
I was in Bayonne basically all day though. We didn't get home until 7 and we had an appointment right then with an active member who is really cool. He wanted to say goodbye to Jorgie, so he took us out to eat at Noches de Colombia. Literally the best food ever. I seriously have to bring home a huge bag of pan de bono for y'all... It might be kind of stale.. but its probably still good even when its stale.

Tuesday we actually had a regular morning. We did all of our studies and everything, but then the day just got crazy from there. We went to district meeting. It was Jorgie's last district meeting, so of course that was emotional. I gave a training to my district about receiving revelation through prayer. It turned out well. I learned a lot. I read Alma 36:36-47 with them and in this chapter Alma is giving consejos to his son and he is telling him about Nephi and the Liahona, so we talked about how in order to receive revelation we need to be diligent and pray with faith, kind of how it was talking about with Nephi. It turned out really good. We had to keep leaving the meeting a couple of times to go to the bathroom because Jorgensen was crying. It is so hard to leave the mission, and it is so exhausting to send companions home, too. I feel emotionally drained. Oh well. I would do anything for Sister Jorgensen, she literally changed my life. After district meeting we had Sister Jorgensen's hot seat. That was fun. Everyone just asked her the usual hot seat questions like, "what was the grossest thing you ate, weirdest thing you found on the ground, the time you laughed the hardest, your longest day, the time you cried the hardest, most embarrassing moment." She had really good stories. I really just love sister Jorgensen so much and look up to her a lot. For most awkward contact she told the story about how someone tried to give us 100 dollars each then how the guy farted. We got some pretty good laughs from that one. After the hot seat we headed to Morristown for Jorgensen's departing interview with President Taggart. Being in a walking area is so annoying though. It is seriously such a joke trying to get a car. The zone leaders have a van. Then there are only 2 other cars in our whole zone. Everyone else walks. The zone leaders get kind of whiney though whenever we try to use the van, which I don't get. They're in a walking area too, they don't need it. Whatever though. We got the van from them but we had to drop everyone off in their areas. Then we headed out to Morristown. I hate driving in New Jersey though. There are so many bridges everywhere and I am really scared of bridges. The Lake Powell bridge scared me. That bridge is so shaky. So now whenever we drive over bridges I have serious white knuckles. On the way to Morristown there is this bridge that is literally at least like 2 miles long. It's the worst. There are just so many rivers where we live. Before we went to the mission home, though, we had to go to the mission office and pick up a new phone. Last week while we were out working, sister Jorgensen dropped our phone in a puddle. I don't even understand. It was literally the only puddle in the whole street and our phone happened to land in it. The new phone we got is so annoying. It's nice though. It's nicer than the older phone that we had. We always used to call it "the piedra" (the rock). It took us longer than we expected to set up the phone at the mission office, so we were almost late for interviews. haha. Classic. Luckily the interview before Jorgie went over so we were right on time. I seriously love the Taggarts though. We went upstairs to go say hi to Sophie and she is up there with these little pet things that she has, and she made like a 15 minute video with the pets. It was so funny. That girl is seriously hilarious. While Jorgensen was in the interview I just hung out with Sister Taggart, Sophie and Emily. Emily was studying for the ACT and I made quesedillas with Sister Taggart. They have a really cute family feel to them and I love it. After the interview, it started pouring rain. Literally POURING. We ran outside to the van across their lawn and it was like a lake. We drove home like 25 on the freeway the whole way home. It took FOREVER! Then to top that off I randomly got really sick, so I was like puking out the window. It was great. We were just chillin' blasting Carrie Underwood trying not to throw up because when we rolled the windows down, water would get in the car. We didn't get home til like 8:45 and we just went straight to bed. We were so tired.

Wednesday was Jorgie's departing temple trip. I was in Bayone with Duke all day. It was fun, we taught like 6 lessons and invited 3 people to be baptized. I really missed my area, though. Sister Jorgensen and I literally did zero work in our area for 3 days in a row. On Wednesday we didn't get home to Union City until 9:15. Not having a car is the most irritating thing ever because we have to bum off of everyone for rides. The Jersey city elders had to pick us up in Bayonne and drive us home. They are so cool though. They kept on listening to the same song on repeat, though, and we were so bugged. They kept on being like, "sisters it's like the Spanish backstreet boys, hahaha" and we were just like, seriously change it before we kill you. Elders. Always such a love hate relationship.

Thursday we finally had another normal morning. We did our normal studies, which was super nice and we were just so thankful to be in our own apartment in our own area. We had a really relaxed morning - then we decided to just go get some sushi for lunch. There is this really good sushi place on Bergenline that we love going to. They have a lunch special where you can get 3 rolls for 10 dollars, so we usually just split that and get smoothies, too. The smoothies there are to die for. Jorgensen and I literally go there every week. I'm going to miss going there. Then after sushi, the Shaws picked us up so they could take us to New York. As always, that was an experience. New York traffic is so insane. On the way home we got in a little car accident. The guy was cool though and he is paying for everything. Sister Jorgensen and I can officially say we got in a car accident in New York. That's like a bucket list event. After that we did our transfer planning and made the new planners and everything, then we went and saw some people. We were literally scrambling trying to see everyone we could with the little time that we had. Then we get home that night and we finish planning and everything and we were just sitting at our desks, Sister Jorgensen was on the phone with Byron then she just goes, "I'm going to have to call you back, our mission president is calling." Then she answers the phone. I literally thought she was joking. We were pretty sure that we were safe because we had already heard that some of the other sisters were training so we thought training calls were done... but we were so wrong. She hands the phone to me and President Taggart is like, "so how are you, blah blah blah. We have praying hard about a calling for you, and the Lord has confirmed to us that He would like you to train a new missionary, so on behalf of the Lord we would like to extend the calling of a trainer." I literally almost died. Wasn't expecting that one. Then we start calling everyone and there is literally 10 Spanish sisters training. SO CRAZY! There are 4 sisters in our zone training, so we had to plan rides to the trainer meeting at 10 am the next day. Luckily one of those sister areas is the only driving area in the zone, so we just took their car.

Friday morning, so crazy. I had to wake up and get ready for the sisters to pick me up at 8:30 at the Union City chapel, which is a 20 minute walk from our house. Sister Jorgensen stayed in U.C. with the other trainer's companions. We get to the trainer meeting and it was literally full of sisters who are training. I am the oldest sister who is training. Everyone else in the mission is so young. It is crazy. After I came out, there was just a few transfers where no sisters came out, then a couple came out here and there, but the last 3 transfers the mission has exploded with all of these new sisters, so I feel like I barely even know who any of them are. It made me feel so old. It is seriously a completely different mission than when I came out. I have never felt like such a dinosaur. It was fun though. The best part was lunch though. American food is such a huge treat. We had spaghetti and bread sticks and ice cream with brownies for desert. When I got back home we finished weekly planning and Jorgensen packed a little bit. It is so sad watching her pack.... it's just over all of a sudden. It is kind of starting to hit me that I am going home in 12 weeks. UGh ew.

Saturday was seriously one of the funnest days of my mission. So when Jorgensen and Duke were companions in Eatontown, they reactivated this really amazing family named the Parcino family and they just got really close to this family. One of the sons in the family is named Sam and the gospel literally just changed his life and they are best friends with him. They are literally obsessed with him and they are talking to him on the phone all the time and they are just always talking about him and he would literally do anything for them. It's like a big brother thing because he is 30. So a couple of weeks ago he calls Jorgensen and is like, "hey I have to see you before you go, someone told me that you can go to six flags once on your mission so I really want to take you!" So we talked to the mission president and he said it was totally cool. Everyone can go at least once on their mission, you just have to be back in your area by 7 o'clock proselyting and you can't take a mission car, a member has to take you. So Jorgensen, Sammy and Duke planned it all out and they invited me to come. I was so excited to meet Sammy because he is like all they ever talk about and we talk to him on the phone all the time and he is so hilarious. So he came and picked us up at 8:30 on Saturday morning and took us down to Belmar where he lives which is like an hour and a half from U.C. at the very south of the mission. The whole family took us out for lunch and showed us the new house that they just bought. It is seriously such a pretty house and it is right on the beach. I seriously want to live there. Then Sammy took us to Six Flags. It was like a 15 minute drive from where he lives. It was so much fun. Sammy is so scared of the roller coasters though, so it was so funny teasing him about it. We only went on one big one. Duke, Jorgie and I waited for an hour and a half for the green lantern. It was fun. It was one where you stand up on it. It was so gross though because there were this two kids in front of us just making out for the whole line. It was seriously so gross. Then after that ride we went and met Sammy out front and we went and did the kid rides with him. It was so funny. We went on one of the rides where it's like you're in a boat and it just rocks back and forth and he got so scared. It was so funny. We were just laughing so hard at him during the whole ride and he was like screaming. Then we went on one of the really fast rides where it spins you. He was screaming during that whole thing too. Jorgensen was in a car with him and I was with Duke and we were laughing so hard because we could just hear him. Then we went on a roller coaster that was kind of like space mountain. It was in a dark room with a bunch of lights. Sammy actually liked that one. It was such a fun day. Seriously. I really wish I could have served down there on the beach with that family, they are some of the coolest people I have met on my mission and I was only with them for one day. I am so happy that they invited me to come with them, I had a lot of fun.

Sunday we had church and some more last minute appointments. We set an appointment with the other sisters to go see the bishop. He lives on 13th street and we live on 45 and the other sisters live on 39th so that was such a long walk, but they made us some super yummy food. I forgot what it's called, but its from Honduras and its eggs with beans and cream in a really yummy thick flour tortilla. I am going to ask them to teach me how to make it.

I am so nervous for this up coming week. Transfers are tomorrow and I have to be at the mission home at 10 to meet my trainee and we are going to have lunch together and stuff, then well go to transfer conference. I am super sad to say goodbye to Jorgensen and I am really sad that we only had one transfer together. I'm sad that I won't even get to sit by her either at transfer conference. Oh well. I am super excited to train though. I'm excited to teach this new sister everything I know and just love her.

I love you all and hope you have a great week! Thanks for all you do!

-Sister Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment