Monday, August 25, 2014

Flood the Earth

We had such a busy week. I don't think I have ever been so tired. It is definitely a good tired though, its fulfilling. But, Sister Haycock and I probably aren't very fun when it is just us two at our apartment together because were just like, trying to keep our eyes open. In any of the free time that we have we will take a little power nap or something. Its kind of lame, but it is beautiful.
Marcial is doing so well. We have basically taught him all of the lessons except for a few of the commandments and things about church auxiliary but he already knows everything about that since he already read the whole guia, which is basically the bible dictionary in Spanish, its just in the back of the book of Mormon not the back of the bible. So.... We basically just teach him that stuff because it is a requirement for baptism then we move on really quick and he has a lot of questions just about the stories that he is reading in the scriptures and things that the prophets are saying. He is the best! We went through the baptismal questions with him this week just to make sure there wasn't anything that he was missing or that he needed to learn more about. He passed with flying colors... at least from our point of view :) We also planned his baptismal service with him. That got him really excited. We let him pick people to do the talks and the prayers and everything. He had fun thinking about the people that have helped teach him. He asked us to do something to be a part of it too because we are really important to him since we taught him everything since the beginning. He said he wanted one of us to do a prayer and a talk and that we could chose who would do what. I am doing the prayer and Sister Haycock is doing the talk. After we made the program he was just glowing. IT seemed more real to him. We went and saw him later in the week and he had a lot of questions about the temple and about the doctrine and covenants and pearl of great price, because he doesn't have a triple so he hasn't read those. He told us that he really wants to go to the temple, which is really good. That means that he will probably go within 60 days of his baptism, which is the goal for recent converts. If they go to the temple within that amount of time, they are more likely to stay active. On Sunday I gave him a preparing for the temple pamphlet and a his own triple. He was so excited. He shook my hand and said "thank you SO MUCH sister!" then he sat down and started skimming through it. He was more excited than a little kid at Christmas. It was cute! I loved it. 2 more weeks! the count down is beginning!

We found some really really cool people. On Wednesday morning, Sister Haycock lost a really special necklace while she was out running, so right after our comp study we went outside to look for it. We met this super old lady from Peru and she had all these connections with the missionaries in Peru. She said that they bought her house in Peru and made it into the meetinghouse for the church. hahah. We couldn't really tell how interested she actually was, but we set an appointment with her for last night... So we show up last night and right as we were about to knock on her door we hear someone yelling at us from across the street. I could have sworn he said "tienen novio?" which means "do you have a boyfriend?" so of course I was just going to ignore it and keep knocking on the door, but luckily Sister Haycock has better ears than me, he actually said, "can I help you?" so we walked over to him across the street sitting in his truck. He said that he lived there and Mercedes (the old woman) was his mom and that she wasn't home. We could tell though after just a few seconds of talking to him that he was super drunk. He reeked of alcohol and his words were super slurred and he just kept saying things over and over that didn't make any sense... We didn't really want to keep talking to him because we didn't really think that was worth our time so we just told him "well, we know that God loves you and as representatives of Jesus Christ we invite you to repent." then all of a sudden the guy that was sitting next to him passed out on the passenger side just shoots up and asked us "hey what are you selling? did you just say god? what about Jesus Christ?" we were a little bit shocked because we didn't really pay him any attention because he was passed out drunk and he had a beer sitting right there between his legs. hahaha. But he just kept on talking about Jesus. He got out of the car and Sister Haycock and I rushed over to his side because he was not stable enough to be standing in the street with us. hahaha. Somehow he actually asked us some good questions about Christ and we were able to answer them. Then he told us that he wanted to change his life and repent and be a better dad for his daughter and he showed us a picture. He told us that he has 5 court cases right now, but two of them miraculously got dropped and he knows that it is God and he has one this week for a DUI and he might have to go to jail for 10 days but he is praying that he doesn't. He was super funny and just about as sincere as any drunk guy could possibly be. He asked us about the book of Mormon and we gave him a card and wrote our phone number and the church address and times and we set an appointment with him. HE was really excited, then he just kept telling us, I'm going to come, but if i don't or if I'm not home when you come over, its probably because I'm in jail, so just come back in ten days. Then he just kept on saying, "man I was passed out in the seat then all of a sudden I heard Jesus so I just shot up! I think its God kind of just slappin me in the face goin "boop, wake up stupid!" ahahahah it was so hilarious. Then he kept swearing so we would just rebuke him right then and call him to repentance then he would apologize then he would do it again then we would do the same thing and he actually started swearing a lot less in that time we were talking to him. He was so funny. Definitely one of my most memorable contacts on my whole mission.

Then we went home right after that, it was about 815 and we had to do our numbers and everything, so while were sitting down at our table doing our numbers the phone rings, and it is an unknown number, so I answer, and of course it is Christopher (the drunk guy) and he was like, "hey sisters, I just wanted to ask you about the book of Mormon? what is that? hey whats your name? wait, whats your first name? why are you on a mission? when do you go home? what do you do when you go home? are you like, not allowed to get married or something?" and he just goes on and on and telling us more about his court and how he wants to know what he can do to be better. He was like, "Sister Clark, just tell me what I need to do tomorrow to repent and be better!" so I was like, "Well, you can start off by praying the way we showed you tonight and telling God thank you for your blessings then asking him to forgive you and help you to stop swearing, then after you pray, you have to try your hardest all day to not swear" then he was like, "so I pray, then I cant swear all day? man, that's tough, but yeah. I can do that. I'm gonna do that!" then he just kept talking and it was the funniest conversation I have ever had on the phone. He talked for 20 minutes and we have some of it on video. Ill have to show you all after the mission. He may just be a drunk right now, but I have faith in him. He kind of reminds me of this one guy that the elders taught in Perth Amboy. I think I told you about him, but his name is Chino and he changed his whole life for the gospel. He was just like Christian and probably worse. In and out of jail, drinks, smokes has kids from different women and things, but he left all of that behind little by little and came to church every Sunday. I really loved Chino and loved talking to him, he was very sincere. One time we saw him outside after he broke up with his girlfriend and he had a pack of cigarettes and he was telling us how he was so mad that he just went out and bought those cigarettes, but he didn't want to smoke them because it had already been a few months since he had smoked, so we took them from him and read in the scriptures with him. I am hoping that Christian kind of turns out like that... But we'll see in the next week or so. 

Tanya and Wellington are still doing well. They are still praying to know if this is what they want, but they kind of want to take it slow, but they want to experiment on everything, with faith and repentance, maybe baptism. They are so great! Tanya has been reading the book of Mormon and finding answers for how to help her son and they make food for us and they love us a ton and are excited when we come over. They are also the cutest parents. A couple of days ago we went over and just Tanya and the boys were home and the youngest Alexis was just running around in his undies playing his ipad and Tanya just looks at him and says "tu no puedes hacer eso, tu estas sexy! Las hermanas no puedan ver eso!" (hey you cant do this, your too sexy, the sisters cant see that!) and we all just cracked up and he blushed and came and sat on the couch without pants on anyways. hahahha

We had our exchange on Friday and I went to Caldwell with sister Coalam. It was a pretty fun exchange. I set some good goals for the future. I want to kind of stabilize my habits that I have gained on my mission thus far so that I am a better person when I get home and I can keep going strong. I also want to help our branch a lot with technology and sharing the gospel creatively. As you may know, the last couple of months I have been more on my creative side. I have been painting, making different pictures and tools for teaching and different things for my journals and what not. It has been really fun and I feel like that is kind of how I share my testimony. I want to help the members do that online. Also, just in case you haven't heard the talk by elder Bednar yet, take this time right now and go to  https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng and click on the elder Bednar talk that says #sharegoodness. Watch it then go and do it or make a plan with your family of different ways that you can do it. There are a lot of ideas on lds.org and if you don't know very much about social media, don't be lame and comfortable where you are, its time to learn, go do some research. :) A very important prophecy is being fulfilled starting now and it needs to be a FLOOD not just a little flash flood. Get to work family and friends! Ok, now go watch that talk and stop reading my email. That is more important!

I love you all so much and thank you for your encouragement and support! Talk to you next week!
-Sister Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment