Monday, November 18, 2013

Week Eleven!

Sorry these are late! I don't know how I forgot to take my card reader to the computer last week. But it's better late than never, because these are AWESOME!

Here is the gift they got me...Here in New Jersey everyone has these on the dashboards of their cars. I've wanted one really bad every since I got here. We were cracking up because of what the plastic says. "Shaking leafage is a cute wings which moves by light" - what does that even mean?  ha ha ha ha

Then Carmen shoved my face in my cake. ahahahah she's so fun! And a great ward missionary, and her daughter, Evelyn, is the cutest!

Me, Evelyn, and Sister Martin

Me and Elder Benson

Elder Blanco, Me and Evelyn
Me and Elder Cuevas

Sister Martin and me with Hans, another one of our awesome members! (McKaela, he's from Peru!!)

The goods. I wish the curtain was up because they have an INCREDIBLE view of New York Darn.
Blowing out the candles...this tres leche cake was so darn good! Julie, you would have died. I'm going to have to say it beats Parson's. Sorry about it. ha ha


Me, Hermana Cedillo, Jose and Luis Jr. GREATEST RECENT CONVERT FAMILY EVER!!

Hermana Cedillo and me
Well, Week eleven down, one more week to go until I am finished with my training! Can you believe that! Next week, I'll just be another missionary, not a new missionary. Kind of a scary thought actually, people are going to expect me to know what to do... But I don't feel like I really have that much wisdom yet. ha, I guess it will just keep coming. :)

This week has definitely been a week of growth and learning for me. We have had a couple of hard days, but it is all worth it in the end. I have a testimony that God blesses you when you put your faith in him and do what he says, even if you can't see the road he's leading you down. That's really been what this week has been like.

At the start of last week, we knew that we were going to try to do a lot of finding this week, and it was really a daunting task... Just because it is not fun at all to go around knocking doors. BUT we did it, and we did find some good people and there were times where we knew that we were exactly where we needed to be. 

We had exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders. I went to Caldwell with Sister Richardson. It was my first time leaving West New York and she is also an English sister, so I got to teach in English for the first time. It was so fun and I learned so much from her. She gave some great advice on finding, which we put to the test later in the week. Being in an English area really helped me recognize how happy I am to be Spanish though, even though it's hard. It's good for me. One thing I really learned from Sister Richardson is the importance of having something planned for every 30 minutes and having specific back ups for those if they fall through, and if none of that works, work the street you're on. If you've planned right, then God knows exactly where your gonna be and he'll give you someone to teach if you search for them. Learning that helped me a lot. After that, we've had some really good plans and names for the whole day. We've always got something to do.

Last night was really hard. We didn't have ANY appointments. We went to church, came home, had our studies, then hit the sidewalk at 5 o'clock sharp. We worked all the formers and less actives that we had in our area book for 51st street for about 3 hours, we knocked about 7 or 8 doors with a specific name behind them of former investigators or less active members. We contacted a few people on the street, but none of them really looked promising. We had a hard 3 hours with a lot of work, but no success. Then, around 8 we had it planned to knock one more door, a reference from the elders. This guy lived on 59th between Bergenline and Pallisade, which wasn't really where we had been working in the hours previous. We knocked the door, and no one was home. We still had about 45 minutes until we were supposed to be home. We decided to go to another less active who we had met before, but we weren't really sure if he would be home... So we go towards Bergenline and we saw someone who looked familiar. We shook his hand and then we realized it was a less active in our ward that we have been trying to get in contact with! He was happy to see us and we were happy to see him. He agreed to let us share a quick message with him. So we pulled out the scriptures and shared with him. We asked him how he really got to know Christ. He said on his mission. He told us about how he would go knock doors for hours and how it was the hardest thing, but they would find someone who they could really help, and it made it all worth it. You really have to have a lot of faith in Christ to be a missionary and you have to truly know Him. His testimony at that moment helped me, and I know it helped him. He enthusiastically promised he would start reading the Book of Mormon again every night. I know we were supposed to be there to teach him. It was cool. God puts you where you need to be.

We also met another woman on the street after that and taught her and set a return appointment. We had 3 hours of no success, but we were blessed after the trial of our Faith! Such a cool thing.

On Saturday we had a big ward activity that was planned by sister Martin and me . It was called "La noche de gracias" or the night of thanks. We had members of the ward share some of their talents and share messages with the theme of thanks. It was both spiritual and fun. The primary sang a cute song and other members shared fun talents. We had pizza and soda. It was a good time! 

Elder Blanco with the pizzas.  MMMMMM!

Elder Cuevas let the members throw a pie in his face!

Well, I have another really fun story from last week, but my time is up on the computer. I'll try to send it in a letter today.
I love you all and I love being a missionary!!

Thanks for the support!

-Sister Clark

p.s. Shout out to my best friend Mckaela on getting her mission call to PERU! I couldn't be more proud and I am so excited to have someone to speak Spanish with when I come home.

ALSO! Birthday shout out to my niece Ava who turned 9 yesterday and my nephew Luka who will be 6 tomorrow. I love you two!

No comments:

Post a Comment